Master's Theses, PhD and Postdoc Positions
Prospective master students are welcome to apply anytime. We usually have 4 different projects available per year in the field of bioinorganic chemistry (either (in)organic synthesis or biochemistry).
28.4.2019 PhD position available asap!
AK Daumann is currently seeking a motivated master student to join our lab.
Project: Spectroscopic and Mechanistic Studies of Rare Earth Element Dependent Enzymes and Their Biomimetic Complexes
From technology applications in solar cells, mobile phones, batteries and lasers to counterfeiting tags in our Euro currency, Rare Earth Elements (REEs) have steadily made their way into our everyday lives. In 2014 it was discovered that many bacteria depend on REE for growth. The respective enzyme responsible for this dependence is a methanol dehydrogenase (MDH). We aim to understand the bioinorganic chemistry of REE with the help of spectroscopic and kinetic studies of the enzymes as well study of model complexes for these enzymes.
For more information you can find a recent review here.
- Enzyme manipulation and assays
- Spectroscopy (UV-Vis, IR, NMR, EPR, CD, XAS) of enzymes and model complexes
- Study of redox cofactor PQQ and interaction with REE as biomimetics for MDH enzymes
- Investigation of the reactivity and spectroscopic properties of the model complexes using UV-Vis and in situ IR spectroscopy and isotopic labeling.
- Motivated, independent and reliable.
- Ideally strong background in inorganic chemistry and biochemistry.
- Good knowledge of spectroscopic techniques (UV-Vis, IR, NMR). Other methods like EPR, CD, XAS training on the job possible
- Fluent in English (written and spoken)
What we offer: An interdisciplinary research environment and fun team. Training in different spectroscopic and analytical techniques. If you believe you fit this description then please send a brief letter of motivation, a short CV highlighting your academic and research accomplishments as well as copies of academic certificates and the contact information for two references as one pdf file to firstname.lastname@example.org
AC-Forschungspraktikum and Bachelor Thesis
Please contact Henning, Niko, Violeta (synthetic (in)organic chemistry/coordination chemistry) or Berenice, Helena (biochemistry/enzyme kinetics) for available projects directly. Please include a transcipt of records, short CV and names of previous supervisors in your application.
We recommend to inquire with us early as we sometimes have a six month waiting list for internships or bachelor projects.
Please contact Henning, Niko, Violeta (synthetic (in)organic chemistry/coordination chemistry) or Berenice, Helena (biochemistry/enzyme kinetics) for available 'Fachwissenschaftliche' projects directly. Please include a transcipt of records and short CV. If you are interested in a more School related project (e.g. antioxidants in beer) contact Lena directly.